3 jours RPC/BOR
- Technical staff from oil or lubricant industries, or subcontractors interested in base oil refining technology and environment.
- To deepen technical knowledge of lube base stocks manufacturing with an overview of the business environment.
- To gain an overview of lubricant uses, classifications and markets.
- To understand the relation between quality requirements, processes used and composition of lube base stocks and by-products.
- To learn about main operating parameters and their impact on performance.
Classification and properties of base oils 0.25 jour
- Commercial lubricant function and composition, purpose of additive introduction, demand structure.
- Mineral base oil classification, market trends.
- Main quality criteria in relation with chemical composition, specifications.
Structure of base oil market 0.25 jour
- Market demand in relationship with uses of lube oils.
- International market and future trends in main developing countries.
Base oil manufacturing schemes 0.25 jour
- Composition of vacuum distillates and residue: influence on refining.
- Conventional manufacturing scheme vs base oil manufacture by hydrotreatment: units’ purpose, products quality.
- Rerefining of drained lubricants.
Base oil conventional refining processes 0.75 jour
- Vacuum distillation
- Residue fractionation: distillates yields depending on crude oil.
- Operating conditions. Quality control: viscosity and flash point tuning.
- Solvent extraction
- Vacuum residue deasphalting and aromatics extraction: solvent choice, operating variables, viscosity and VI control.
- Solvent recovery, energy consumption.
- Solvent dewaxing
- Paraffin crystallization in the presence of a solvent: operating conditions.
- Specific equipment: chillers, rotating filters.
Base oil unconventional refining processes 1.5 jours
- Hydrotreatment processes
- Typical process flow diagram - Main equipment: reactor, heaters, heat exchanger.
- Chemical reactions and catalyst for hydrotreating.
- Operating conditions: pressure, temperature, hydrogen ratio, WABT.
- Impact of conditions on quality: pour point, viscosities, VI, CCR …
- Hydrorefining: hydrocracking of vacuum distillates and deasphalted oil.
- Hydrodewaxing: hydroisomerization of slack wax/gatsch.
- hydrofinishing of lube basestocks, paraffins and microwaxes
- white oils manufacturing principles: required properties
- Operation and troubleshooting
- Impact of the operating parameters on yield and product quality, tuning and optimization.
- Adjusting the operating conditions to compensate for variable feed quality and the ageing of the catalyst, monitoring the activity of the catalyst.
- Study of the industrial risks of this operation.
- Disturbances and incidents.